Design

Design

Tuesday 6 May 2014

Laundry Room Progress





It's been awhile since I talked about my laundry room and it's really starting to come together.  This is my Ikea hack - I took two Lack end tables and stacked them.  I also removed the shelf from the bottom Lack table to allow storage for taller things like my HomeSense fabric baskets which I'm loving.  

I'm going for a  farmhouse-industrial style in here, so I used a wooden shelf and old  egg crates which I've had for years, to add some country. I found two very graphic black and white mats at HomeSense and used one on the floor and used one for a window covering.  (I just used velcro strips to attach it to the window). I needed something great on the window because it is the focal point in  this room, and it looks out onto my neighbour's brick wall.  It's also a very tall and narrow room so I needed to anchor it a bit with the black on the floor.   Now, when you walk in you don't see a brick wall or cheap tile anymore.  You see amazing graphics, which is very important when you're doing laundry! 

All of the tins, glass jars, lanterns, wicker baskets and the white garbage can came from Ikea. I'm using the tins for storage and eventually some will have plants in them - when it warms up.  Unfortunately, there is an electrical outlet right in the middle of the wall.   Visually, it's a bit of an eye sore and really bugs me, so I'll have to think of some way of covering it.  

















I'm thinking about these pulls from Anthropologie on the cabinets.  (Anthropologie has lots of wonderful things - I'm just saying!!!) The cabinets are quite cheap so these pulls would make them look a lot better.  They would also add some black and white on the other side of the room and balance it out. Haven't quite decided yet on pulls.



Right now my first choice for a light is this Hektar black light from Ikea.   There are two sizes available and I think I would go for the bigger one. 
Love, love, love this look!!


I could also go for this light from Ikea but I think solid black would look better.  



I also love the industrial look of just an oversized light bulb hanging down like this one in my son's room.  (Yes that is stucco and one day it will come down).  
It's the Beacon light from Rona.






So that's the laundry room update.   Right now I'm working on my dining room drum shade trying to alter it.  I'll let you know if it works.





2 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic. It's amazing how big a difference your transformative powers make on a room! Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks fabulous! Love the hack too!

    ReplyDelete