Sunday, 3 April 2016

Modern Farmhouse Kitchen Reno Update

A lot has happened to my kitchen since this post

I CANNOT believe what a difference 3 days, 2 guys & just changing out the uppers & backsplash made to this space.  What a big change!!!!  Within the first few hours they had all the uppers down & that was a big enough change.  I felt like I could breathe...

I'm trying to take this very basic, builder kitchen & make it look more current & custom on a very low budget.  I didn't change the countertops (they're quartz put in by the previous owners) or the lowers (I'll be painting them black) or any of the appliances...again, a very inexpensive reno.

Let's just look at the befores...

This is how it looked when we moved in...your very basic kitchen.

And this is what it looked like after the cabinets were painted & new hardware was put on about 6 years ago.

And this was about an hour after the carpenters arrived.




I kept the rangehood design simple...shaker like the cabinets.  

So this is what I had them do:   take down upper cabinets, build bulkhead, put up new Ikea cabinets, build rangehood, put up subway tile & put up crown moulding.

After grout and a couple of coats of white paint (Ben moore Soothing Mist OR-483) later...this was the result.

Can we just talk about the subway tile for a minute...
I.  Love.  It.

And it's from Home Depot...a box of 100 for about $40.00...inexpensive & favourite combo!
I also went with this dark grout called Truffle for a more graphic look.

This was a complete waste of space next to the fridge.  We had a box where the microwave used to go, two uppers, a very narrow cabinet & then a glassed corner cabinet.  We purchased these from Ikea in an off-white shaker style & then purchased these in 18" to go above them.   

You can see that there are two outlets on this side of the kitchen so I was able to get the carpenters to cut out the backs of the cabinets so I can put my microwave in the enclosed cabinet.  I also opted to leave one whole cabinet without doors & drawers. This houses my glass jars & coffeemaker & gives it a more custom look.

So here's what I have left to do:  put another coat of paint on the bulkhead & rangehood (hence the tape), paint the lowers black, get some new hardware (probably gold), & add some wood elements.

Even though it's only halfway there, we are absolutely loving it...the kids are loving it too!